Summer Favourites

August 31, 2014

Bonjour,

I rarely seem to remember to do monthly favourites, but this time I was looking for ideas for a blog post anyway, so I thought why not talk about some things I've been loving throughout the summer.


Bastille

I'm still getting into Bastille if I'm honest, but I'm quite addicted to some of the songs from this album, including Pompeii, Bad Blood and Laura Palmer.


HAIM

What's not to love about HAIM? My favourites from Days Are Gone are Edge, Falling, Honey & I, If I Could Change Your Mind and My Song 5.


TRXYE

I've got to admit it, I love all the songs on Troye Sivan's EP TRXYE - but Happy Little Pill will always be my favourite.


The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

I came across this series on Amazon, and was immediately intrigued by the setting - the crumbling country mansion of the de Luce family, set in the English countryside in the 1950s. The heroine is Flavia de Luce, an 11-year-old chemistry whizz who spends her time in her chemical laboratory researching and creating all kinds of poisons - throw in a few good murders and an eccentric family and you've got an absolute gem of a novel.


The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

You know those books which blow you away and leave you pondering over the intricacies of the plot and whether the characters were based on real people days after you've finished it? This is one of those. Think a more modern taken on Jane Eyre, with a few exciting ingredients, but then forget that idea because it's not like that at all - it's stunningly well-written, spellbinding in the extreme, and left me at a loss for words.


The Original St Trinians Films
I've loved the whole concept of St Trinians ever since I first saw the 2007 film, but I was even more thrilled to discover the four original 1950s and 60s films in a lovely boxset. There's so much to like about these films: the comedy element, the nightmarish girls, the havoc they wreak, and the whole quintessential Britishness of it all.


Sherlock

I didn't watch all the Sherlock episodes as they aired, as it was only at New Year that I saw the beginning of series 3 and decided I loved it. I then watched all the previous episodes which my brother had recorded, but a few weeks ago when I went back to watch them again I found they'd all been deleted, so naturally I ordered the three series from Amazon. It really is a five star TV programme, and the complicated yet masterfully worked storylines and cinematography are worthy of a full length Hollywood movie.


Houndstooth Leggings from Ale-Hop

I got these leggings fairly recently in Spain, but I've been wearing them non-stop ever since I got them as they're just about the comfiest thing ever.


Floral Headband from Ale-Hop

As I may have mentioned in a previous post, I'm currently growing my fringe out, and so far this headband has been brilliant in keeping it out of my face until it's long enough to join the rest of my hair.

And that's the stuff I've been loving this summer!

x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search