The Final University Room Tour

September 30, 2018

I moved into my new university house nearly 3 weeks ago, term started last week and it's been a utter whirlwind so far. Unfortunately our WiFi was delayed in getting set up (thanks Virgin) so I spent two weeks without any internet, apart from a few hours sitting in the library on campus. Until I couldn't use it I really hadn't realised how much I rely on the internet for literally everything I do, from boring stuff like checking emails to planning how to get from A to B (as I'm still getting to know Brighton and the bus routes). But it was finally installed last week so I thought it was time for a room tour!

The house itself is a three-storey townhouse in a residential part of Brighton, and it's kind of an average between my two previous student houses - it's more modern than my house last year but definitely not as pristine as the place I lived in my second year. Unlike in previous years I didn't have any say in my choice of room as I joined this group after someone dropped out and they had already decided who was having which room. Nevertheless I'm really pleased with mine (I think it's actually the best of the lot!) and I think I've managed to make it my own quite easily. If you've read my previous room tour posts you might recognise some things because it's basically all the same stuff just in a different space!


This is what you see as you come in the door. I'm lucky that there's a great amount of storage, both in the form of two wardrobes and those shelves which are kind of the centrepiece of the room. Having said that I'm unlucky that one of the wardrobes has the boiler in it, but there's still room for a suitcase and my coats and jackets in that side - and I'm just about getting used to the noise it makes every time someone runs a tap!


None of the bedrooms have any kind of open storage like this, which is why I personally think it's the best room. I love displaying my knick-knacks and photos and things and it's also really practical for things like books and DVDs. The top two shelves are basically just for display, the next one down is my hair and makeup station, and below that is just general storage with shoes right at the bottom. Of course I stuck some fairy lights to the top shelf and I also have some fake tealights which look really atmospheric when the lights are dimmed.


I really love my bed area, which is where I decided to put my photo wall this time around. My room has picture rails running all around it which I took advantage of and got some picture hooks to put another set of fairy lights up, as they kept falling down with just bluetack. As this is the longest wall I thought it was the best place for my map print bunting and I think the overall effect is lovely.



My desk area is less fabulous, mostly due to all the cables which are inevitably in view underneath. However on the plus side I do have two desks for some reason (which none of the other rooms do) so I have my monitor on one with my printer under it, and my laptop and stuff I use every day on the other. Up on the wall I have my usual world map poster (once a geographer, always a geographer), my Durham tube map, some postcards and along the picture rail is another string of photos which are also fairy lights.


For some reason my room also has a tiny sink, which is kind of weird and unnecessary and I haven't used but I suppose it's there if I wanted to. Above it I have a celestial chart poster, which is a new addition to my university decor.

And that's my room for this year! I think it's really cosy and it's a great space for working in too - what more could you need from a university bedroom?

x

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Oh my goodness!!! This room is so well decorated! I love how you decorated! Hah, the wires under a desk is what I struggle with too. XD the tiny sink is like an added plus. Also super cute but random!

    ReplyDelete

Search